Management of type 2 diabetes mellitus in patients whose hyperglycemia cannot be controlled with diet and exercise.
Warnings and cautions when taking drugs
Store in dry places, not exceeding 30°C. Protect from moisture and light.
Dosage and Administration
– Glibenclamide 5 mg is administered orally and 30 minutes before meal(s).
– Dosage of glibenclamide must be based on urine and/or fasting blood glucose determinations and must be carefully individualized to obtain optimum therapeutic effect.
– The usual initial dose is 2.5 to 5 mg daily, adjusted every 7 days by increments of 2.5 or 5 mg daily up to 15 mg daily.
– In patients previously receiving other sulfonylurea antidiabetic agents, the initial dosage of glibenclamide should be 2.5–5 mg daily after the day discontinuing of previous drug. Dosage is increased gradually, if necessary, by increments of 2.5 mg until blood glucose meets requirements.
– Patients with impaired renal or hepatic function: an initial dosage of 1.25 mg daily.
– The adult maintenance dosage is 1.25 -10 mg daily. Doses greater than 10 mg daily may be given in 2 divided doses.
– Because of the relatively long duration of action of glibenclamide, it is best avoided in the elderly.